Thursday 3 January 2013

Tree Rings


I've been thinking for a while how I could express the inspiration and ideas generated from  experiencing the work of David Nash. I've also been considering how I could interpret the theme 'Metaphors for Ageing' for entering SAQA exhibition. The two have come together  in tree rings and I've been working on a sample over the last few days stitching densely with machine into some hand dyed African batik. It's quite thick fabric and it has quite a sculptural form  which I love but might not please the quilt police! I found this wonderful acacia wood plate in the Kew shop yesterday when buying a calendar. It was so hard to choose!
The David Nash sculptures currently in the Shirley Sherwood Gallery have wonderful fissures and cracks. I'm working out how best to interpret these in  textile- as cuts or dense stitching to give the illusion of cracks?



5 comments:

Olga Norris said...

Brilliant idea - I love the stitched 'tree rings', and especially the sculptural element.

Debbie said...

I am so glad you are showing some of the David Nash sculptures, I have wanted to visit this exhibition but am not going to make it, so a big thank you for the opportunity to see some of the work

Linda B. said...

The sculptures are a wonderful metaphor for ageing, she says, watching the lines in her skin deepen!
Your use of stitch is excellent, as ever.

The Idaho Beauty said...

What a great start! You've definitely captured the look of tree rings. If you wanted to accentuate the cracks more (although that might not be necessary on this particular piece) you might consider paint or India ink.

Margaret Cooter said...

Inspired! Keep on stitchin'...