Saturday 26 February 2011

Hidden Treasures

 Almost by chance I caught a programme on BBC2 on 'Hidden Treasures of  Australian art',(on iPlayer for next 20 days) concentrating on Torres Strait Islanders. Starting with an artifact in Cambridge University collections , it looked at the connections between artwork and culture both in the past and how it is practised today including the amazing linocuts of Alick Tiputi

It reminded me to search out this Torres Strait fish platter I bought in Cairns nearly 20 years ago  - time to put it on more prominent view. Makes me want to fish out (pun intended) my lino cutting tools or at least take rubbings of those wonderful textures.
 Also in that Cairns shop I bought this netted bag ( bilum) of vegetable fibres  although I think it's probably from Papua New Guinea

3 comments:

Linda B. said...

Thanks for the link. I'm almost done with watching TV but every now and then something like this comes along ...

Susan Briscoe said...

Missed seeing the programme (annoying!!) but coincidentally did acquire a bilum while in Queensland - they are from Papua New Guinea. Will check out the artist's link next. Thanks for the info!

Lynda Howells said...

just come across your blog and this en try..the bilum is from PNG and l have several as l lived there for 3 yhears years ago! waving from putney in London.
my blogs are http://tryingtocreatearteveryday.blogspot.com
and image diary http://chocolatelifeandjazz.blogspot.com
Enjoy if you have time.x
ps..l am in the 2012 texile Show in landmark show in teddington.
lyndax