Friday 5 February 2010

Rhythm in Line:Victor Pasmore

The exercises at my drawing class continue to focus on rhythm and line, this time analysing the work of famous artists. We looked at the expressive lines and mark-making of Bridget Riley, Munch and principally Van Gogh but what leapt out at me was a postcard of Victor Pasmore: Spiral Motif in Green , Violet, Blue and Gold:the Coast of the Inland Sea . Not a painting I was familiar with although his 'Spiral Development:The Snowstorm ' is one of my all time favourites , especially in the flesh!We first spent 20 minutes analysing our chosen painting, drawing the main shapes and lines in pencil.
Then using acrylics on canvas taped to a board we attempted to copy the painting (or a section of it) , concentrating on the marks and lines. My chief struggle was with scaling up from a postcard(I can see from the weblink what I missed!) Also I was half regretting having chosen something which involved the use of such a titchy brush (not my thing at all, but good for me!)


It was a very useful process of analysis - replicating an artists work is not something I've done much of or feel comfortable about but it has its place.



Next week we're to take a favourite landscape photograph in and apply the same principles of analysis of shape and line. What to choose?!! I think it will probably be one of fields, either from Greece or this one I snapped in Llangollen on our walk to impressive Pontcysyllte Aquaduct

4 comments:

JP said...

really like what you have done again - you certainly had your work cut out with a brush!! - the phoyo will be interesting to do

Julie said...

At first I thought this was based on a Van Gogh painting, I'm sure Victor Pasmore must have been influenced by him. Your drawing has a lot of movement. I have a drawing that I did several years ago based on a Van Gogh painting and I keep thinking it would make a good basis for a stitched piece but don't get round to doing it lol

The Idaho Beauty said...

Well, I'M pretty impressed with your effort. Encouraged by suggestions in Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain to copy the masters, I worked with several favorite Picassos. You definitely learn a lot about style and execution that just doesn't sink in simply by visually studying a piece. A slip of my pencil while drawing along the nose gave me instant insight to how his more bizarre renderings of faces may have developed. Thanks for sharing this journey.

reensstitcher said...

Way back in the twentieth century when I was au pairing in Germany I went to an art class where each week we examined a different style of painting and did something based on it. I will always remember copying a Nolde painting - I learnt a great deal from it as well as acquiring a genuine interest in his work. I think it is a good way to work from time to time.