Thursday 20 December 2007

Psi and Theta Votive Figures




When I was sorting through photos taken during the year to include in our annual Xmas letter, I came across these images of figurines taken in the museum at Mycenae. Being surrounded by Henry Moore's monumental work these last few months I looked at these with fresh eyes, appreciating their form, character and individuality ( on a diminutive scale) . The meaning and function of these votive figures (named Psi and Theta forms after the Greek letters they resemble) can only be guessed at.
This will the last post of 2007 - off to Iran later in the day for 2 weeks holiday. No doubt I'll have some interesting photos to share in the New Year.





2 comments:

The WestCountryBuddha said...

Just popping by to say Hi and thank you so much for the useful links for photos of foxgloves. They were great and will help enormously get what's in my mind, out, and onto paper! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year x

Olga Norris said...

I have always loved these figurines. I think that their size is just right.